Tytera MD-380 CPS

This section is for general chat and any off topic posts that dont fit in anywhere else, if we find somewhere they fit better a member of the admin team will move the post for you
G7RVH
Call Sign: G7RVH

Tytera MD-380 CPS

Postby G7RVH » Thu May 14, 2015 11:40 am

Here is a link to the Tytera site where you can download the CPS for the new MD-380 handheld. It also has the USB drivers as part of the zipped file.

http://www.tytera.com/Download.html

Once unzipped it has the CPS and USB drivers as rar files. I used this software to extract ready for install....

http://www.bitser.org/download_zip.shtml

Once installed I had a play around and found it was pretty easy to navigate around. However, you whilst you can have more than one instance open you cannot cut a paste between them. Also, the channels list is just one long list which I don't think can be segmented so it could get complex if there are a large number of entries that you might want to add to or edit. I've not used it to programme the radio yet.
Richard
2E1CIR & G7RVH
http://www.g7rvh.com
Norfolk, UK

Tone
Call Sign: G7TXU

Re: Tytera MD-380 CPS

Postby Tone » Fri May 15, 2015 4:45 pm

In two respects, I find this better than the Moto CPS. I find a large codeplug in the Moto software runs really slow and takes a long time to load and refresh. Also, channels and contacts can be changed from digital to analogue and group to private without having to delete and start again.
The lack of ability to sort and re-order is a bit of a problem, as is the dogpile of a channel list, although one advantage of this approach is that a single channel entry can be included in more than one zone.

Then it comes to contacts, again there is no sort or re-order, however, G4EML wrote an application which allows manipulation of the CS-700 contacts list. The software is actually very similar to the MD-380, and indeed, the payload file structure is identical apart from 5 octets which define the model type. G4EML's Contacts Manager works with MD-380 configuration files and is great if you want to import and export contacts.

Incidentally, if you want to use a CS-700 file with the MD-380, open the payload in a hex editor and substitute these bytes.
Offset 125 126 127 128 129 130
CS700 HEX 44 36 38 30 00 FF
CS700 ASCII D 6 8 0 .
MD-380 HEX 44 52 37 38 30 00
MD-380 ASCII D R 7 8 0 .

G7RVH
Call Sign: G7RVH

Postby G7RVH » Fri May 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Fully agree with Tone again. It is a real pain not being able to sort either contacts or channels. This is a real headache when it comes to managing changes or updates to talkgroups on individual repeaters. Any additions will not be grouped together and are displayed in the order that you input them. Imagine a codeplug with all 40 or so repeaters and upwards of 8 entries each and then adding a new one at random in the very long list.

I do hope that this is on the radar of the developer as it is a real negative for me. The radio is great though!

Noted on the similarities with Connect Systems. I have a very comprehensive PDF that describes each section of the CPS in detail which may benefit others as it did me. I can supply copies if anybody is interested or place on the forum if that is acceptable.
Richard
2E1CIR & G7RVH
http://www.g7rvh.com
Norfolk, UK

m1pac

Postby m1pac » Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 am

I don't recommend ANY of you hack the code from the CS700 to the MD-380 and you know I am right.

There is a routine in the firmware that reads the code and sets the radio up to that code.
and if it reads the code and and there is a discrepancy the radio WILL be a nice expensive paperweight.
you all KNOW that happens . Apart from that it will invalidate your warranty.

Have a nice day peeps

Phil de M1PAC
To be a professional Amateur

Tone
Call Sign: G7TXU

Postby Tone » Thu May 28, 2015 8:58 am

I'd strongly disagree, if you open up the configuration files for both CS-700 and MD-380, you will notice that the file structure is identical with the exception of the model identifier bits identified above. Furthermore, the file is opened in, and verified by the CPS before it is written to the radio.

It is no longer necessary to use a Hex editor and manually change the model descriptors to convert a payload file to and from CS-700 and MD-380 format as G4EML's Contact Manager now includes it as a function.

Tone
G7TXU

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Thu May 28, 2015 9:33 am

I found it was necessary to change a couple of extra bytes in the code plug beyond those mentioned by Tone. It is also necessary to change the frequency coverage information to match the MD-380. This is because the CS700 covers up to 470 MHz and the MD-380 covers up to 480MHZ. If you don't change this the CPS mis-identifies a UHF radio as a VHF one.

My contact manager program (on the csi yahoo group) has been updated to convert from CS700 to MD-380. Note that the startup screen saying that you use the program at your own risk is now even more relevant. The conversion appears to work but may have unknown issues.

Neil
Call Sign: M0NFI

Postby Neil » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:31 am

The software for the MD-380 isn't good at all. As mentioned the lack of sorting is very poor.
One feature lacking from both the TYT MD-380 and the CS 750 that is on my Motorola DP3600 is that you can't use the letters on the keypad to access your zone and have to keep pressing the button to cycle though them.

I've used the zone and channel manager software a few times for the MD-380 and twice found it mixed up the channels on some zones. A few of the zones ended up with the channels from another zone. Hope this helps in bug fixing your software. Found the contact import an excellent feature in contact manager.

Return to “General Chit Chat / Off Topic”